Mr. Dembowitz’s practice is dedicated to the valuation of full and partial property interests for litigation, dispute resolution, mediation, and arbitration purposes. He provides valuation and consulting services to law firms, property owners, public agencies, municipalities, project managers, developers, investors, and financial institutions. Mr. Dembowitz has contributed his real estate expertise for major transportation and infrastructure projects in Southern California including the widening of the 405, 91, 15, and 10 freeways and the extension and expansion of the Los Angeles County light rail system. He helps his clients navigate complex land valuation, ground lease, and rental rate issues, particularly for prominent land, retail, and office properties. Mr. Dembowitz also provides Opinions of Reasonableness for projects utilizing Historic Preservation Tax Credits, New Markets Tax Credits, and Low-Income Housing Tax Credits.
Mr. Dembowitz has been a real estate professional—in valuation, consulting, sales and leasing, construction administration, development, and property management—since 2003. His valuation experience includes appraisal, consulting, and investment advisory services concerning retail properties, vacant land, office buildings, multifamily and mixed-use properties, industrial facilities, medical offices and other healthcare properties, hotels, parking facilities, educational and religious properties, manufactured and mobile home communities, recreational vehicle parks, and single-family homes. Mr. Dembowitz has completed projects throughout the United States, with extensive experience in Southern California as well as the Chicago and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. His background with special valuation studies includes full and partial acquisitions, easement valuation, analysis of land leasing practices, market rent appraisals, ground rent analysis, tax appeals, and fractional ownership interests.
Before joining Cushman & Wakefield, Mr. Dembowitz was with Integra Realty Resources in Los Angeles from 2010 to 2015, where he worked as a Senior Analyst focusing mainly on right of way and litigation matters. As an appraiser with Shea Realty Advisors in Philadelphia, Mr. Dembowitz focused on the valuation of retail and industrial properties, vacant land, and religious and educational facilities. As the Sales and Leasing Manager for New Huntingdon Development in Philadelphia, Mr. Dembowitz conducted industrial and office lease and sale negotiations, property management, and construction administration. As a Senior Real Estate Analyst with Property Valuation Advisors in Chicago, he appraised commercial properties in Chicagoland and across the United States, mostly for securitized transactions involving multifamily, mixed-use, industrial, retail, office, and hotel properties.
Memberships, Licenses, Professional Affiliations and Education
- Designated Member, Appraisal Institute.
- Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in the following states:
- Member, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Member, International Right of Way Association
- Member, Southern California Chapter of the Appraisal Institute
- Board of Directors Member (2015 – present
- Bachelor of Arts, The University of Chicago, Honors
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Chair, Southern California Chapter of the Appraisal Institute 51st Annual Litigation Seminar – Los Angeles, California, November 2018.
- Panel Leader, “Expanding the Transportation Network in Los Angeles: Valuation Issues” – International Right of Way Association Chapter 1 Annual Valuation Seminar – Montebello, California, April 2016.
- Co-Chair, Southern California Chapter of the Appraisal Institute 48th Annual Litigation Seminar – Los Angeles, California, November 2015.
- Panelist, “Introduction to the Litigation Appraisal Process” – Southern California Chapter of the Appraisal Institute 47th Annual Litigation Seminar – Los Angeles, California, November 2014.