Joel is an innovative and experienced corporate real estate professional with a broad range of leadership and management skills. Joel has extensive experience sourcing, negotiating and closing complicated real estate transactions on behalf of Fortune 500 corporations. Furthermore, Joel has extensive hands-on experience with client relationship management, project management, facility management, lease administration, program management, finance and legal disciplines. Known as being a multi-market transaction management specialist for Financial Services firms, Joel’s many financial services clients include First Citizens Bank, SunTrust, RBC Bank, RBC Wealth Management, PNC and BB&T. Other clients have included Blackberry Limited, General Motors of Canada Limited, GMAC, Lenovo, AT&T, Electrolux and Qualcomm, to name but a few.
Currently serving as Account Executive for First Citizens Bank, Joel works closely with the First Citizens Bank corporate real estate team to develop and implement portfolio management strategies and is actively engaged in site selection, office & branch acquisitions, surplus property dispositions and asset management across the bank’s portfolio.
Joel graduated from the University of Victoria, BC with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Urban Land Economics. He is an ICSC member and a licensed real estate salesperson in the state of North Carolina.
Cassidy Turley (now Cushman & Wakefield), 2012-2014, Senior Vice President / Director of Transaction Management for SunTrust, Atlanta GA
- Managed a six member transaction management team and multiple local market brokers for SunTrust.
- Personally developed customized Transaction Management Playbook for SunTrust.
- Responsible for managing all SunTrust real estate transactions including renewals, acquisitions and dispositions across a 14,000,000 square foot portfolio.
CBRE, 2002-2012, Senior Vice President / Director of Transaction Management for RBC Bank, Raleigh, NC
- Prior to joining Cassidy Turley/DTZ (now Cushman & Wakefield), Joel served RBC Bank (USA) as Director of Transaction Management reporting to Director of Real Estate Services.
- Responsible for the strategic planning of RBC Bank’s real estate portfolio that comprises over 500 facilities totaling over 3,200,000 square feet across six southeastern states.
- Client/BU relationship management responsibilities to determine client needs and expectations. Developed strategies to deliver cost effective and value added solutions to the Client group based on those defined needs while adhering to the overall policies and standards of RBC Bank.
- Benchmarked key RBC Bank initiatives against other RBC BU initiatives, RBC corporate standards and industry best practices.
- Responsible for RBC Bank’s Denovo retail bank branch acquisition program across six southeastern states.
- Responsible for all other real estate transactions undertaken by RBC Bank including lease renewals, acquisitions, large and small scale relocations, consolidations and dispositions of surplus properties.
- Managed a 30-member team of CBRE brokers and administrators.
- Negotiated over 3,000,000 square feet of office and retail transactions (2003-2012), totaling more than $400,000,000, and including RBC Bank’s headquarters in Raleigh NC, regional headquarters facilities, 40 new retail bank branches, multiple subleases and other property disposition assignments.
- Negotiated savings or cost avoidance in excess of $45,000,000.
CBRE, 1998-2002, Director, Corporate Services, Toronto, ON and Vancouver, BC
- Single point of contact for General Motors of Canada Limited (GMCL).
- Managed multiple transactions across Canada and other real estate related assignments for GMCL and GMCL suppliers.
- Part of real estate team which developed Colonel Sam Business Park adjacent to the GMCL headquarters in Oshawa, ON.
Headwater Management Ltd., 1992-1998, Principal, Vancouver, BC
- Founding partner of construction management firm based in Vancouver, BC.