Mr. Schafer began his career with Cushman & Wakefield in January of 2008 as Managing Director, National Quality Control.
He is the chairman of the Quality Control Committee and his primary responsibilities include developing listening systems to ensure that client needs are understood and met, implementing processes to more closely align with customer expectations, and coordinating the national market analyst and quality control teams to enhance report content and improve effectiveness. In addition, as a member of the Appraisal Management Group, appraisal review and process management services are provided to assist clients with real estate lending decisions.
Scott Schafer is a real estate consultant with over twenty five years of experience in the appraisal field, combined with extensive banking experience with a specialization in commercial credit. He has wide-ranging experience and knowledge in the preparation of appraisal reviews and narrative appraisal reports, covering virtually every type of commercial real estate.
Prior to Joining C&W, Scott was employed by HSBC Bank USA as Senior Vice President, Collateral Management from July 1991 through July 2007. He managed a staff of 78 that provided real estate appraisal and environmental services, collateral examinations and monitoring (for asset-based lending and automotive finance), credit information reporting, and commercial loan documentation review. These services largely supported a national mortgage portfolio totaling over $15 billion. Prior positions at HSBC included the management of the small business underwriting function, and relationship management for troubled credits.
From June of 1984 through June of 1991, he was a Senior Vice President with Peter F. Korpacz & Associates, an appraisal practice that specialized in complex multi-tenant, investment-grade projects throughout the United States. Responsibilities included appraisal report production and managing a team of appraisers by monitoring production and providing quality control for the preparation of appraisal reports on commercial properties.
Awards & Associations
Southampton College of Long Island University
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration
As of the current date, Scott M. Schafer, MAI, has completed all of the requirements under the continuing education program of the Appraisal Institute.
Memberships, Licenses, and Professional Affiliations
• Designated Member, Appraisal Institute (MAI)
• Member, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS)
• Member, Industry Advisory Council of the Appraisal Foundation
• New York State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
• State of Illinois Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
• State of Colorado Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
• State of Kansas Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
• State of Maryland Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
• Chapter Secretary - Buffalo Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (1996)
• Board of Directors - Buffalo Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (1994 - 1996)
• Reviewer - The Appraisal Journal (1994)
• Ethics Committee Chairman - Buffalo Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (1994)
• Nominating Committee - Buffalo Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (1993)
• Experience Review Committee - Buffalo Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (1993)
• Young Advisory Council of the Appraisal Institute (1991)
Special Awards & Achievements:
Certified Six Sigma Green Belt - 2004
President’s Award for Outstanding Service to HSBC – 1999
National Semi-Finalist RIT/USA Today Quality Cup Competition – 1999