CONTACT US
Share: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn I recommend visiting cushmanwakefield.com to read:%0A%0A {0} %0A%0A {1}

2020-2021 Asia REIT Market Report

Catherine Chen • 09/07/2021
Asia REIT Market Outlook Report 2020 2021
 
As at the end of 2020 there were 185 REITs in the Asia market, of which 78 were integrated REITs containing multiple property types. Twenty-eight REITs were focused on the office market, 24 were in industrial/logistics properties, 23 were in retail, 18 in the hotel sector, nine in residential apartments, and four in healthcare. A single REIT focused on the data center market. 
 
This report uses annual financial reports published by REITs listed in Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong SAR. We have also studied Bloomberg data and have analyzed four financial indicators: dividend yield, total return, price-to-book (P/B) ratio, and leverage ratio. Together, we hope these insights will help investors better understand the financial performance of REITs in different markets and in different property types.
 
In terms of average dividend yield, REITs in Singapore enjoyed the highest returns at 6.4%, followed by Hong Kong SAR with 6.3%. REITs in Japan delivered the lowest yield of the three major markets at 4.8%, consistent with historical performance. 
 
When looking at total returns over the past ten years, Hong Kong SAR REITs have delivered the highest total annualized return rate, above the Singapore and Japan markets. Nonetheless, total returns in most REIT markets were in negative territory in 2020, although, of our three key markets, Singapore showed greater resilience at -2.7%, compared to Hong Kong SAR at -13.0% and Japan at -13.1%.
 
In addition, REITs in Singapore and Hong Kong SAR presented at an overall discount status, with an average P/B ratio of 0.96 and 0.60, respectively. Overall, REITs in Japan showed a slight premium, with an average P/B ratio of 1.09. 
 
Finally, REITs in the Singapore and Hong Kong SAR markets demonstrate overall gearing prudence, with liabilities not exceeding 45% of the total asset value, while their counterparts in Japan shoulder a relatively higher leverage ratio, although still remaining at less than 55% of the total asset value.

Related Insights

Singapore Market Outllokk H2 2024_thumbnail asset.jpg
Research • Workplace

Singapore Market Outlook H2 2024

Singapore's economy to grow 2.3% in 2024, higher than 2023's growth of 1.1%
12/07/2024
Hong Kong Northern Metropolis Report 2024
Research • Economy

Zooming Into The Industry-Driven Northern Metropolis

In the 2023 Policy Address, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government issued the “Northern Metropolis Action Agenda,” emphasizing that the area will be adopting an "industry led, infrastructure first“ development approach. The land planning and offering process will be industry-driven, to address the longstanding issue of land shortages that has limited overall industrial development. 
 
Rosanna Tang • 27/06/2024
Alternative Investments Outlook 2024 Report
Research • Investment / Capital Markets

Alternatives Outlook 2024

Delving into the key themes that shaped the alternatives sector throughout 2023, Cushman & Wakefield’s Alternatives Outlook Report provides insightful projections for the future of alternative real estate in 2024.
09/04/2024

Related Stories

Cushman & Wakefield
Computer Security Software Company • Technology
Learn More
Kalpataru
Kalpataru, India • Residential
Learn More

CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?

Get in touch with one of our professionals.
With your permission we and our partners would like to use cookies in order to access and record information and process personal data, such as unique identifiers and standard information sent by a device to ensure our website performs as expected, to develop and improve our products, and for advertising and insight purposes.

Alternatively click on More Options and select your preferences before providing or refusing consent. Some processing of your personal data may not require your consent, but you have a right to object to such processing.

You can change your preferences at any time by returning to this site or clicking on Privacy & Cookies.
MORE OPTIONS
AGREE AND CLOSE
These cookies ensure that our website performs as expected,for example website traffic load is balanced across our servers to prevent our website from crashing during particularly high usage.
These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced features. These cookies do not gather any information about you that could be used for advertising or remember where you have been on the internet.
These cookies allow us to work with our marketing partners to understand which ads or links you have clicked on before arriving on our website or to help us make our advertising more relevant to you.
Agree All
Reject All
SAVE SETTINGS