ESG Building Certification as a benefit for Investors
Anděl Park ESG Case Study - Building Certification
1 The Opportunity
Our long-term cooperation with the active and open-minded owner of Anděl Park who we provide with a comprehensive set of asset management, project management and leasing services allows us to continuously improve the building’s quality and its BREEAM In-Use certification score. During our progress towards achieving the Excellent certification level in 2021, we implemented upgrades that impacted the property’s quality in terms of:• PERFORMANCE & IMPACT
The building’s operational performance improved, its environmental impact reduced, costs saved
• IMPROVEMENT PLAN & GUIDELINES
Clear roadmap established, comprehensive guidelines for gradual improvement of the asset obtained, higher certification score achieved
• TENANT APPEAL
Tenant retention and satisfaction increased, high occupancy rates maintained
• ASSET LIQUIDITY
The property’s attractivity for a wider pool of investors enhanced through globally recognized ESG credentials
2 The Solution
We view certification as a tool, not a target. Before any upgrade or improvement is performed on the property, we look for the best solution by referring to the BREEAM In-Use requirements. With the guidance of BREEAM In-Use, we have enhanced the quality of Anděl Park through:
• New technical standard of the property
• Improvement of the standard restrooms throughout the building with low water consumption equipment, LED lighting, light sensors
• Reconstruction of the greenery on the terraces
• Fully equipped cycling facility with changing rooms, showers, and a bike storage room
• Fitness studio with regular classes for tenants
• Facilities and services for tenants, e.g. e-shop pick-up points
• Implementing a tenant-retention plan
• Occupier community engagement programs: special events, BBQ, breakfasts, meetings, partnership with local providers (special offers, etc.)
• Proactive communication with the tenants – meetings, events, etc.
Anděl Park – CAPEX (examples)
• BREEAM In-Use certification obtained
• Documentation and specification of the new standard
• Reconstruction of restrooms to correspond with sustainability requirements
• New terrace available to all tenants – equipped with furniture, greenery, etc.
• Cooling backup for server rooms
• Electricity savings measures: mechanical engineering parts control and set points optimisation
• Fitness studio & Cycling facilities
• Terrace reconstruction
• BMS & FAS upgrade
• FAS graphic visualisation
• BMS – Frequency alternators, humidifiers, switchboard
3 The Results
ANDĚL PARK as an example of ESG Asset Strategy for Investors
2015 – BREEAM In-Use Very Good 60.8% (Asset Performance), Very Good 66.2% (Building Management)
2018 – BREEAM In-Use Very Good 65.6% (Asset Performance), Excellent 72.2% (Building Management)
2021 – BREEAM In-Use Excellent 72.2% (Asset Performance), Excellent 75.6% (Building Management)
The gradual increase of the certification score at Anděl Park office building in Prague is the result of our continuous professional and proactive asset management, project management and leasing skills, combined with our extensive experience with the certification processes.
The steps that led to this success have had a proven impact on client satisfaction and retention, demonstrated by high occupancy rates and rents exceeding the standard in the location, enhancing the property’s value and keeping it competitive on the market.
MEET THE TEAM
In this year's 33rd edition of the Cushman & Wakefield Main Streets Across the World ranking, the Czech Republic ranked 19th.
Cushman & Wakefield and CMS present the key findings from the fourth edition of their joint report on the hotel investment scene in CEE: Getting Real about ESG in Hotel Real Estate.