Managing Director • United States
Mary Gates joined Cushman & Wakefield in April 2021 as the team Quality Control Lead for the Pacific Northwest Region. Prior to that, her appraisal experience was with BBG, Inc. from 2017 until 2021. Mary joined BBG from Integra Realty Resources, with whom she had worked since 2008. Prior to working on her own as a contractor for special projects from 2003 to 2008, Mary’s initial appraisal experience was with AGI Valuations, formerly Arthur Gimmy International, from 1988 until 2003.
Appraisal experience has been primarily in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. Mary’s range of work includes large-scale properties and complex appraisal issues. Mary has done portfolio appraisal work and has worked as part of a team of appraisers and other real estate professionals and has worked in the area of litigation and expert witness engagements. Mary has leveraged her appraisal experience to include appraisal review and managing appraiser training. Mary’s experience includes extensive valuation experience with all commercial property types including land, retail, industrial, office and residential as well as special purpose properties.
Retail property types have included single-tenant net leased properties to superregional malls. Industrial property types have included warehouses, flex properties and specialized manufacturing buildings. Office assignments have included medical offices, suburban offices and large core properties. Residential assignments have included, in addition to condominium and multifamily properties, unique single-family properties and mixed-use properties. Special purpose assignments have included transportation corridor valuation, post-production film studio valuation, multiplex properties and historic theater properties.
- Master of Business Administration– Finance, University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, Honors Graduate
- Bachelor of Arts – Economics, University of Wisconsin – Madison, Honors Graduate
- Designated Member, Appraisal Institute, No. 11010. As of the current date, Mary Gates, MAI has completed the requirements of the continuing education program of the Appraisal Institute
- Certified General Real Estate Appraiser: California – AG002084
- Northern CA Chapter Appraisal Institute Spring Litigation Conference Committee, 2016 – 2021
- Developed and moderated “Tree Appraisal: What Is It and Why Does It Matter?” – May 2018
- Developed and moderated “The Appraisal Expert as A Teacher” – May 2016
- Appraisal Institute Grievance Committee Chair – 2008
- Appraisal Institute General Experience Screener, 2004-2007
- The Business of Show Business: The Valuation of Movie Theaters, The Appraisal Institute, 1999.
- The Cost Approach: A Technique for Analyzing Clean Room and Other Special Purpose Improvements, Appraisal Insights, First Quarter, 1996.
- Health Care Facilities: Valuation Issues for the 1990s, The Real Estate Finance Journal, Summer, 1992.