Vice Chairman • United States
Lou Cushman began his real estate career in New York City in 1965 at J.C. Cushman, Inc., joining Cushman & Wakefield, Inc. (C&W) in 1976, working out of its Downtown (Wall Street) office. He relocated from New York in 1971 to open and head up C&W’s new office in Houston.
C&W was founded in New York City in 1917 by the late J. Clydesdale Cushman and the late Bernard Wakefield, Mr. Cushman's grandfather and great uncle, respectively.
From 1978-2001, Mr. Cushman was Chairman of the Board and co-founder of Cushman Realty Corporation (CRC), a privately-held commercial real estate brokerage, with his twin brother, John C. Cushman, III, currently Chairman, Global Transactions of C&W. CRC was acquired by C&W in 2001; previously a Director of C&W, he now serves on the Global Advisory Board and is Vice Chairman of both C&W and Cushman & Wakefield of Texas, Inc.
Mr. Cushman has been involved in major office leasing, build-to-suit, building and land sale and acquisition, sale/leaseback, surplus property/space disposition, strategic planning, and consulting assignments throughout the United States and internationally, with his specialty being office leasing brokerage, more specifically representing tenants.
- BA degree with honors in Economics from Amherst College.
- MBA degree, specializing in Finance, Real Estate and Marketing, from the University of Michigan.
- Founding member and first President (1983-1984) of the Houston Office Leasing Brokers Association (HOLBA), 1983 to present.
- In a 50/50 joint venture with The Orvis Company, served as founding Chairman of the Board of Orvis/Cushman & Wakefield Ranch and Recreational Properties, LLC, based in Colorado Springs, CO, an international brokerage in the marketing and sale of premier, investment-quality ranch and recreational properties, with an emphasis on land use conservation and stewardship, 2005-2009.
- Served on the Board of Directors of Green Bank, N.A. (formerly Redstone Bank, N.A.) in Houston, 2007-2010.
- Owner, along with John Cushman, of Zaca Mesa Winery in Santa Barbara County, California, 1987 to present.
Alley Theatre – Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Vice President, Facilities, Chairman of the Building Committee; Sam Houston Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America – Board of Directors and Advisory Board; The Houston Forum – Board of Governors; Houston Methodist Hospital Foundation – President's Leadership Council, Immunology Center Task Force; The Menil Collection – Menil Council, Finance Committee, and Real Estate Committee; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston – three 3-year terms on the Board of Trustees, having also served on the Executive Committee and as Chairman of the Building & Grounds Committee; and the Institute of International Education – Southern Regional Advisory Board for 25 years, having served as Chairman for three years, as well as a member of the national Board of Trustees, of which Mr. Cushman is presently an Honorary Trustee.
- One of only 66 office leasing brokers nationwide installed as a charter member (Active Office) of the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR), 1986.
- Honored in 2005 by the Houston Association of Realtors Commercial Division and the Houston Business Journal as one of four inaugural inductees into the “Heavy Hitters Hall of Fame”, recognizing “exemplary individuals who have had a lasting impact on the Houston commercial real estate community and role models who have helped shape the future of the profession”.
- In 2007, #1 producing office broker worldwide at Cushman & Wakefield.
- “Office Broker of the Year” – Houston Chapter of the National Association of Office & Industrial Parks (NAIOP), 2007.
- WorleyParsons Group Inc. – 3,324,000 RSF *
- Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. – 3,066,000 RSF *
- BP – 2.0 million RSF *
- BMC Software, Inc. – 1,800,000 RSF *
- BHP Billiton Limited – 1,756,000 RSF *
- Tesoro Corporation – 1,383,000 RSF *
- Lyondell Chemical Company – 1,053,000 RSF *
- Shell Oil Company – 530,000 RSF *
- Koch Industries, Inc. – 483,000 RSF
- Aramco Services Company – 468,000 RSF *
- RepublicBank Houston – 421,000 RSF
- Hess Corporation – 394,000 RSF *
- Bank of America – 364,000 RSF
- Riviana Foods Inc. – 354,000 RSF *
- King & Spalding – 281,000 RSF
- Pogo Producing Company – 266,000 RSF *
- Pennzoil Company – 250,000 RSF
- First Interstate Bank of Texas, N.A. – 205,000 RSF
- Simmons & Company International/Piper Jaffray & Co – 182,000 RSF *
- Kilpatrick & Cody – 141,000 RSF
- La Quinta Corporation – 122,000 RSF *
- Arnold, White & Durkee – 120,000 RSF *
- U.S. Capital Advisors LLC – 114,000 RSF *
- Consolidated Graphics, Inc. – 106,000 RSF *
- Sidley Austin LLP – 88,000 RSF *
- TEPPCO – 75,000 RSF
- EOTT Energy Corp. – 65,000 RSF
- * Multiple transactions and multiple locations
For Lease • Office
12140 Wickchester Lane
Houston, TX 77079