Executive Managing Director • United States
James S. Downey is an Executive Director with Cushman & Wakefield Retail Services, where he focuses on representing premium to luxury retailers in major U.S. markets in both malls and free-standing locations. Mr. Downey’s roster of tenant has included Bulgari, LVMH, Anne Fontaine, Molton Brown, Prada, Baccarat, Pucci and the The North Face.
Jim’s team currently spends a significant amount of time supporting a number of VF Corp. owned brands in developing and executing retail strategies across the United States. Those brands include The North Face, Timberland, Lucy and Vans which represent VF’s Outdoor Coalition as well as Nautica and Kipling from VF’s Sportswear Coalition. He presently serves as Account Director for The North Face in its national expansion and developed the analyses and criteria for its desired retail format as well as the demographic profile and economic modeling parameters for these transactions. Jim also participated in the development of the architectural and construction standards for The North Face stores and with C&W’s London office, conceived and formulated the expansion program for its European roll-out.
Previously, as former Senior Account Director at C&W for Saks Fifth Avenue account, he handled the site selection process, demographic analysis and negotiation of leases for Sak’s 20 full-line resort and “Main Street” stores which were completed in malls and many U.S. resort locations. He also completed 24 transactions for Off Fifth Saks Fifth Avenue Outlets, the value oriented brand of Saks Fifth Avenue. In addition to his retail expertise, he has 14 years of experience as Senior Counsel from 1982-1996. In his capacity as Senior Counsel, he oversaw the licensing, operation and supervision of a number of C&W operating subsidiaries throughout the United States.
Awards & Associations
• REBNY – “Most Creative Retail Deal of the Year” Winner, 2009
• REBNY – “Most Ingenious Retail Deal of the Year” Winner, 2014
De Beers, Calypso St.Barth, Elie Saab, Baker, Knapp & Tubbs, Morton’s of Chicago, FRED, Diesel, H&M Hennes & Mauritz, Benetton and Ann Sacks.
• Bottega Veneta US Flagship – 740 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (25,000 s.f.)
• Baccarat Flagship – 635 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (6,000 s.f.)
• H&M (Hennes & Mauritz) – First two leases in the U.S. – 640 Fifth Avenue (26,000 s.f.) & Lexington Avenue (22,000s.f.)
• Member of Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY)
• International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
• The New York State Bar Association
• The Massachusetts Bar Association
• Association of the Bar of the City of New York
• Board of Directors of the Real Estate Services Industry Group, Inc.
• Lectured before the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors
• Board of Directors of Putnam Scholarship Fund – Springfield, MA
• Massachusetts Cultural Council – Worthington, MA
• Bachelor of Arts, Bowdoin College - Magna Cum Laude
• Suffolk University School of Law