Executive Director • United States
John oversees Cushman & Wakefield’s Minneapolis Real Estate Development Advisory practice. In this role, he helps communities and real estate owners align real estate assets with operating and investment strategies. John focuses on real estate strategy, development, redevelopment and workouts of properties that are not performing to their potential. Most of John’s 35-year career has been focused on complex redevelopment projects and workouts. He has a passion for community building and place-making through the thoughtful development of the built environment.
Prior to his practice at Cushman & Wakefield, Johns spent 20 years with United Properties, most recently as the General Manager of its retail investments. In that role, he established UP’s retail investment program and built it to a multi-state portfolio of 22 grocery-anchored shopping centers worth more than $200 million.
Awards & Associations
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Governance Committee and Chair of Mission Advancement,
- Past Chair of the ULI Minnesota District Council
- Donates 10% of his time each year to advising communities on how to attract better development
- Served on more than 30 Technical Assistance Panels for cities across the metro
- Past Trustee, Washburn Center for Children
Some of John's notable projects include Centennial Lakes, the redevelopment of the 50th & France district, and Penn & American. John is currently helping Thrivent Financial with the $500 million redevelopment of their 2.25 block corporate campus in downtown Minneapolis.